Saturday, January 9, 2010

Chicken Taco Soup

No card this morning, but I wanted to share a really good recipe. It was given to me by my friend Melissa who I "met" over on SCS.

I served it for supper last night and it is so good! My DH, DS and I all love it...DD won't touch it! LOL Maybe it's because she's a tween.... I say "black", she says "white"! Does this happen at anybody else's house?

Chicken Taco Soup
1 onion, finely chopped
1 can chili beans
1 can corn
1 large can tomato sauce
1 large can diced tomatoes/chilies
1 package taco seasoning
1 12 ounce can beer
2-3 chicken small chicken breasts
Combine all ingredients in Crock Pot. Cook on low for 5 hours. Remove chicken breasts and shred; return to pot for 1 hour.
I like to add a can of black beans as well. If you do, it won't fit in a 4 quart Crock Pot; you will need a larger one. Last night I substituted hominy for the corn and it tasted wonderful; really, you could add both.
I like to garnish the soup with shredded Co-Jack cheese, a dollop of sour cream and Fritos. You could also use black olives, green onions, etc.
***I think the "secret ingredient" is the can of beer. We are not drinkers, so I send DH out to buy a can of beer just so I can make this soup; it is really yummy!***
That's all for now.... I hope to be back later with a card. Stay warm and have a great day!
Angela

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

I love Taco soup, but most of the recipes I've found aren't for the crock pot. I know I could adapt it, but I'm too lazy! Thanks for sharing a crock pot taco soup. Although, even if the beer's the secret ingredient, I'll leave it out ;) Chicken broth, here I come...lol!

Banu said...

This sounds good Angela. I can leave out the chicken and make it vegetarian. Awesome. :) Going to try it out tonight.

Larissa said...

Hmmm when can I come to taste your soup? :)