Pages

Friday, July 30, 2010

Bellarific Friday/SFYTT



Good morning! Today I was able to combine 2 challenges to make 1 card; I am always so excited when I can do that! The challenge for Bellarific Friday was to make a Christmas card and I used Jen Del Muro's Sketch For You To Try.
Have you ever made a card and things just failed to come together easily? Well, that's what happened to me here! The polka dotted background panel started bigger, but just kept getting smaller and smaller. First I cut the red mat unevenly; after I trimmed it down, I discovered I took more off than I had planned. What is that about measure once, cut twice?! Then I cut the dots bigger than the red mat, so I trimmed down the dots. I colored the image panel and thought it looked really nice, I had done some nice shading.... Well, I discovered the red didn't match! I colored over it with a darker red; by this time I was too frustrated to do any shading. Next I cut it out using my Nestabilities. I was trying (for the first time) to leave a portion of the image outside of the edge. Well, one side looked great (I was so excited!), but the other wasn't so hot...it was unusable. There was no way I was going to color the image again, so I got the bright idea of cutting the image out and gluing it to a new diecut. Well, let me tell you, Bellas are not so easy to cut out! Alrighty then, after all this I have an image panel! Yay!
Image: Stamping Bella
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, SU! Black Marker and Ruby Red Marker
Paper: PTI Stamper's Select, SU! Riding Hood Red, KI Memories DP
Embellies: Wright's White Grosgrain Ribbon, Barbara Trombley's Art Glitter in "Angel Dust", Doodlebug Glitter (yellow)
Extras: Prismas/Goo Gone, EK Success Round Punch, EK Success 3D Dots
Ready to hear more? As I was putting the card together, I was trying to make a plan for what to use for the small circles on each side of the image panel. I looked through my stash and really couldn't find anything good, so I made my own faux brads by gluing 2 circles together for a bit of dimension and then coating them with glitter. Not so sure what I think about them....
As I was editing the photo, I noticed that the DP was showing through the white ribbon, so I added some white paper strips under the ribbon and photographed it agian. (See second photo...the ribbon shows through.)
Now today, as I am posting, I realize that I forgot to color/glitter Bella's belt.... Some cards are not meant to be....
Thanks for stopping by; I hope you can enjoy some (non-stressful) craft time today!
Angela

6 comments:

Banu said...

Angela, This card turned out pretty.....despite all your "issues"...The thing is that I think we are our own worst critics :)

I loved the combination of patterned paper and the coloring is just ab fab. Awesome.

Kathy said...

Angela, you totally cracked me up with your post. Things like this happen to me all the time. Good thing is though, I would never know you had such a hard time with this card. it is beautiful. My favorite part is the glitter trim on her outfit. The combo of dsp looks great too. The card really came out well despite all you little problems along the way! I love the faux glittery brads, too.

Imke said...

Angela, my first thought: I LOVE the glitter on her dress - very cute ! The DP fits great and i like your layout. Beautiful Card.

Linda Palmer said...

Wow!! For such a troublesome card it turned out beautiful. Love the layout and the dp rocks. I think it is a great card. I have lots of days like yours.

Larissa said...

Great card! Sorry to hear about all the problems you had when you were making this card! Great paper and I love the big glitter brads.

Jessica G. said...

Fun holiday Bella, Angela! Great coloring, perfect DP, and just the right amount of sparkle!!

You should also enter her in the Paper Pretties' Wednesday challenge because the theme is glitter this week:

http://paperprettiesblog.blogspot.com/2010/07/prettie-wednesday-challenge.html